Career Services Advisor
- Full Time
- Rochester, NY
RochesterWorks! Career Center
Career Services Advisor-Initial Skills Assessment
Assesses the work readiness of job seekers and works with customers to create short-term action plans that will help them develop the tools and skills to succeed in their job search.
- Performs an initial assessment of new career center customers to determine work readiness including work history, education, skills, job seeking tools (e.g., resume), support system (childcare, transportation, housing), and personal/emotional factors.
- Provides advice and guidance to job seekers regarding the job search process and occupational choices in the context of local labor market.
- Assists new and “repeat” customers in developing the necessary tools to effectively organize and conduct a job search campaign including helping them hone their interviewing skills, resumes and cover letters.
- Develops a follow-up action plan with customer regarding next steps (e.g., workshop, referral to Job Placement, Skills Development, or partner services); provides information to customers regarding the Career Center’s employment and training services and resources.
- Assesses customers for program eligibility and registers customers in appropriate program (WIA Adult/DW, Vet, TAA.)
- Validates data elements required for applicable program and registration level and documents appropriately in the One Stop Operating System (OSOS.)
- Enters customer detail information in OSOS for customers who are unable to self-register and updates customer information in OSOS.
- Documents services provided to customer in OSOS.
- Participates in outreach activities, employer recruitment events and job fairs.
- Collaborates with RochesterWorks system partners and community agencies to deliver services and make appropriate referrals for employment support services and training services.
- Stays current regarding occupational, educational, and labor market information in order to assist customers in determining and carrying out vocational and educational objectives.
- Works with staff and management as a team to meet enrollment, expenditure, employment, retention, earnings, and credential performance goals.
- Assists in special projects and other duties as required.
- High school diploma with four years experience in a related field or equivalent. Associate’s degree with two years related experience. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Experience in working with diverse populations in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Proficiency in bi-lingual skills a plus.
- Experience working with individuals with disability
- Ability and flexibility to work at various locations of the organization as needed.
- Develop effective working relationships and work well as part of a team to achieve organizational goals.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to complete paperwork and data maintenance on a timely basis.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Knowledgeable regarding local occupational, educational, and labor market information.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. This position may require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day. Proper lifting techniques required. This position may include lifting up to 10 pounds for files, computer printouts on occasion.
RochesterWorks, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit rochesterworks.org.