Campus Safety Officer
- Full Time
Website Nazareth College
Pay Rate: $17.75/hr.
C Shift: M, Th, F, Sat, Sun, 11:00 pm – 7:00 am – Tuesdays and Wednesdays off
D Shift: M – F, 7:00 PM – 3:00 AM
Job Description Summary
Nazareth College, an independent, comprehensive institution with 2300 undergraduate and 700 graduate students, prepares its graduates to serve local and global communities through a wide range of liberal arts and professional programs. Nazareth seeks to hire faculty and staff with a demonstrated commitment to teaching excellence, student success, and civic engagement, and an understanding of the educational benefits and importance of diversity, equity and inclusion as articulated in our Diversity Statement. The college is located minutes from downtown Rochester, New York, a city noted for its rich arts and cultural community and its international businesses and industry. Applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The Campus Safety Officer is responsible for performing support functions to the Campus Safety Department, including but not limited to, patrol duties, including patrol of campus buildings and grounds, responding to emergencies and enforcing the laws of New York State and the policies of Nazareth College. Under the direction of the Director of Campus Safety, the Officer supports the Division of Student Development as well as students, faculty and staff throughout the campus.
- Patrols campus in order to observe and report suspicious and/or criminal activities, respond to emergencies, document all incidents, and take appropriate actions. (20%)
- Responds to and initiates appropriate response procedures for all major emergencies on campus (medical and mental health emergencies, fires/fire alarms, social unrest, auto accidents, etc.). Ensures that all campus buildings are secured and unlocked in accordance with building hours and special requests. (20%)
- Performs vehicle assists, for example, jump-starts, lockouts, etc. Provide other means of assistance as needed (room lockouts, escorts, information requests, transports, etc.). (10%)
- Issues parking/moving violation tickets for motor vehicle infractions on campus. (10%)
- Enforces the laws of New York State and the rules and policies of Nazareth College (10%)
- Ensures that all appropriate fire safety codes and regulations are properly adhered to (fire extinguisher inspections, fire drills, building inspections. (10%)
- Observes, reports, initiates corrective action on any hazards/defects in the buildings, roadways, walkways, or any safety or fire safety violations that may pose a security or personal threat to students, faculty, staff or visitors. (10%)
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education, Experience, Technology Applications and Skills:
- AAS in Criminal Justice or two years’ experience, or a combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with faculty, staff, vendors, visitors, and outside emergency services departments.
- Ability to handle sensitive or confidential information such as medical and psychological problems, disputes, or disciplinary issues.
- Must have a valid New York Class 5 Driver’s License and current NYS Security Guard certification/registration.
- Must obtain CPR and first aid training certification cards within 90 days of employment.
- Must have good computer skills (word processing and spreadsheet applications) and knowledgeable in the operation of security and fire alarm systems operation.
- Exceptional organizational skills and be able to attend to and prioritize projects.
- Ability to successfully manage interpersonal working relationships. As appropriate, collaborate with staff in other units and divisions to achieve the goals of the College.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Handles confidential information sensitively and appropriately.
- Provides quality service (defined as friendly, courteous, respectful, and helpful) to students and all other members of the Nazareth College community with whom there is contact, as well when represent
- Understand Campus Safety’s role in helping to promote and support the Nazareth College mission of education and create a greater understanding of the department’s specific role within the College
- Demonstrates commitment to working in a diverse workplace and to building a pluralistic community by promoting an increased understanding of individual differences and perspectives that will enable workforce cohesiveness
- High emphasis placed on professionalism, efficiency and a positive attitude
- Annual participation in professional development; focus on acquiring, improving and applying technological and other skills that are essential to achieving the goals of the College
Preferred Education, Experience, Technology Applications and Skills:
Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice or a related field and a minimum of (2) years’ experience in security and safety
Must be able to lift, carry, push and pull 20lbs on a daily or weekly basis
Equipment to be used:
- Desktop computer (basic)
- Radio communication equipment (basic)
- CCTV cameras (basic)
- Security Escort System (basic)
- Fire Safety System (basic)
To apply for this job please visit www2.naz.edu.