- Full Time
Website Rochester Institute of Technology
Monday thru Friday – 11:30am – 8:00pm
Saturday and Sunday – OFF
Please note: On occasion, additional work hours may be required during break week, summer and intercession. Large institute events may require additional hours (such as commencement (graduation) and Imagine RIT Festival).
We want you to be part of a high-energy dining team who depends on each other to succeed. The environment is friendly but fast-paced. The goal? Nobody goes hungry, and everybody leaves smiling! Our cooks are responsible for preparation and/or cooking of food for various food service units across campus.
Executes advanced hot food preparation in RIT Dining locations. The primary responsibility (>60% of the job) is to cook full entrees that requires advanced food preparation techniques. Provides mentorship and acts as a resource to Cook I. Ensures quality food preparation, safety, sanitation, and customer service.
- Cooks entrees to include proteins and sides requiring advanced food preparation techniques.
- Prepares menu items according to production specification and recipes from menu management database.
- Assist in training and supervising staff and students on all food procedures for both front and back of the house of operation and on proper use, cleaning, and sanitization of equipment.
- Provides support to Junior Sous Chefs or Sous Chefs on special projects. Continuously provides input into development of menus.
- May perform similar cooking duties as Cook I such as short orders such as hamburgers, chicken, eggs, and other grill items as well as prepare cold food items such as items for delicatessen/salad bar and compound salads.
- Washes, cuts, and prepares hot and cold foods.
- Ensures all prepared food is satisfactory in quality and quantity prepared, and served and stored at proper temperatures and times.
- Assists in maintaining proper labeling, rotation, and storage of food items.
- Cleans cooking utensils, grills, ovens, hoods, and other kitchen equipment.
- Maintains sanitation and health and safety standards. Serve as a good example for proper sanitation, cleaning and personal hygiene.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED and 1 year of experience in a high volume restaurant, country club, or institutional setting.
- Servsafe certified or ability to obtain within six months of hire.
- Allertain certified or ability to obtain within six months of hire.
- Must successfully complete Cook II culinary skills test.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional customer service.
- Strong communication (verbal, written, interpersonal) skills and an ability to communicate effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage competing priorities.
- Must be adaptable to a frequently changing environment and ability to adhere to professional standards in stressful situations.
- Ability to bring creativity to the development of menus in conjunction with culinary leadership.
- Ability to follow New York State and Monroe County health codes as they relate to health, sanitation and safety.
- Possess an awareness and basic knowledge of allergens, food sensitivities and dietetic restrictions.
- Ability to work with the customer and management in resolving potential diet limitations of the customer.
- Understand and comply with all institute and department policies and procedures.
- Ability to work professionally, ethically and with integrity; uphold the vision, mission and core values of the University.
- Ability to execute entrees required advanced culinary techniques.
- Ability to mentor and lead less experienced kitchen staff.
- Possess a passion for food.
- Ability to report to work on time, adhere to break policy, wear proper uniform and hair restraint.
How To Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number.
To apply for this job please visit sjobs.brassring.com.