- Full Time
Website Town of Brighton
Department of Public Works – Highway Department
Full Time: 40 hours per week
Application deadline: October 1, 2021
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is an entry level unskilled position
involving a variety of routine heavy and light manual labor tasks. The employee reports directly
to and works under the general supervision of a foreman or other higher level employee. The job
requires physical endurance. May be required to work outdoors in all kinds of weather, to work
overtime, and to be on twenty-four (24) hour call seven (7) days a week for emergencies.
Supervision of others is not a responsibility of this class. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES (All need not to be performed in a given position. Other related
activities may be performed although not listed)
- Assists with installation, maintenance, repair, and cleaning of highway, sewer or water system
Assists in construction, patching and grading of roads, and installation of new sidewalks;
- Shovels, rakes and tamps asphalt;
- Operates snowplow wing;
- Removes snow from sidewalks, parking lots, and recreational areas by shoveling or using tractor
or pick-up truck and plow;
- Collects yard debris and leaves and may be required to pick up garbage and/or rubbish;
- Plants and prunes trees, grades lawns, rakes leaves, cuts grass and brush, spades flower beds,
cuts wood, and assists in other grounds maintenance activities;
- Digs and refills trenches for sewer and water lines, and drainage pipe
- Excavates and backfills for new construction and repairs;
- Repairs, cleans and flushes culverts and basins;
- Performs general building cleaning tasks such as dusting, sweeping, mopping, and washing;
- Fills motor equipment with cement, sand, stone or oil etc.;
- Loads and unloads vehicles and trucks;
- Directs traffic on road projects;
- Picks up dead animals for disposal;
- Repairs mailboxes, installs sign or fence posts, and assembles, sets up or removes road signs;
- Assists with painting and unskilled carpentry tasks;
- Operates hand and power tools of all types;
- Drives pick-up truck or other light vehicle for the delivery of supplies or messages;
- Operates motor equipment as a trainee under direct supervision;
- Keep building and/or work areas of a jobsite clean and organized as necessary to maintain safe and productive work;
- Assists a mechanic with equipment repairs, and service equipment by adding fuel, coolant and
- Operates telephone or two-way radio for emergency dispatching.
- Must be able to work in strenuous conditions; able to lift up to 50 pounds
- This position requires physical endurance and good physical health.
- Must have good interpersonal skills, be dependable and have reliable transportation.
- Must have a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License Class D.
- Must pass physical examination to determine ability to perform manual labor.
- Candidates for employment will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Good knowledge of the use of hand tools; working knowledge of methods used to maintain and
construct roads, sidewalks, catch basins, etc.
- Working knowledge of ground maintenance activities; and of building cleaning methods
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills
- Must obtain a learners permit for a CDL license within 1 year of hire.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: There are no training and experience qualifications
How To Apply
1. Please send an application (and resume’) to:
Attention: Steve Zimmer
Town of Brighton Highway Department
1941 Elmwood Avenue
Rochester New York, 14620
or by email to: Steve.Zimmer@townofbrighton.org
2. Applications can be found on the Town’s website at www.townofbrighton.org. See
“Resources”, “Job Opportunities”.
3. Applications will be accepted until 3:00 PM on October 1, 2021
4. The Town will contact perspective applicants to schedule interviews; please do not call
the Highway Department directly.
The Town of Brighton is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome job applications from qualified individuals without regard to age, race, religion, color, citizenship, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, family care status, pregnancy, military status, veteran status, disability, prior criminal offense, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic status, limited English proficiency or any other lawfully protected status.
To apply for this job please visit www.townofbrighton.org.